Friday, August 06, 2010

A Brief History of Time


Today is my day off. Aside from the usual call to let the dog out and make her breakfast, time today in one way is mine.

It's not of course. The time I have today is a gift. I am told by the Church to take a day off. It is time given to me by God through His church. It is time to rest, to recover and to give & receive love. It harks back to God's own rest after creating & looks forward to a time in the future when our rest, our all, will be with & in God. It is about living that hope.

In my head I have a cover of Joe Jackson's 'Got the Time' by Anthrax from their Persistance of Time album



The time I have to enjoy today is God's gift to creation for there is a 'now-and-not-yet-ness' about it. It is special time. It is Sabbath. It is worth exploring the theology of Sabbath in Heshel's excellent book 'Sabbath.' His writing left a huge impact on me... A good review be found at the Infinite Resources blog...

I am enjoying the sabbath God gives me today. It has given me time with my family, time to cook, time to eat, time to drink & time to give & receive love...

And by way of a PS - the Church Times has arrived. Now where is that cup of coffee...

1 comment:

Revsimmy said...

I love Joe jackson and prefer the original at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlaAG2XmKUo

This is good, though, and the "Joe Jackson-ness" still comes through.